The ISO National Convention demands that the Renewal Faction take down External Bulletin by the morning of Monday, 17 February, on pain of disciplinary action; and that the Renewal delegation repudiate the last four statements of the faction, on pain of exclusion from Convention.
The Renewal Faction, including delegates and guests to the Convention, declines to renounce or remove anything on External Bulletin. We can’t renounce what we think.
Update: Based on the notes of our delegation, we present below the text of the resolution that excluded us from Convention. This may not be an absolutely faithful reproduction, as delegates were not given a written version, but we believe it to be accurate in substance. We are, as always, willing to correct any errors brought to our attention.
There has been a shift by the Renewal Faction, as a result of not finding significant political support for their initial perspective in the ISO, towards more destructive actions that put the organization at risk.
These include but are not limited to:
- The External Bulletin post on CERSC, which puts the nonprofit at financial risk and makes individuals named vulnerable.
- The “snitch-jacketing” of a comrade and defense of this by the faction.
- The External Bulletin post declaring that the faction will no longer redact internal documents from its website, even without permission from our organization or individual members, which in practice has already censored comrades from making important contributions to the Convention.
- The External Bulletin post that slanderously accuses the ISO Steering Committee (SC) of “instinctively disbelieving a woman who brought a sexual assault complaint,” and reflecting “the sexist and patriarchal logic of capitalist society,” based on a misrepresentation of Pre-Convention Bulletin #19, without notifying the authors.
We feel that we can no longer operate on grounds of mutual trust in an organization where this behavior is allowed. We call on the Convention, our highest decision-making body, to vote on the following:
- We call on all Renewal Faction members to retract support for the aforementioned actions in writing to the SC and by removing all materials from their website; or face disciplinary action, including expulsion, as deemed necessary by the SC immediately following Convention.
- We call on all Renewal Faction delegates and guests to retract their support for the aforementioned actions in writing to the SC in order to be readmitted to Convention on Sunday morning.
Aaron P (Detroit); Elizabeth WF (Madison); Aaron A, Jason F, Jonah B, Leia P (New York City); Brian K (Poughkeepsie)